Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wow! News Coverage!

Howdy Y'all!
So it looks like the San Jose Mercury has picked up the story now! Which is totally exciting because I was also (in a round about way) on the cover of the San Francisco Chronicle today. I say that it is "a round about way" because the story is actually about a recent dig that I was associated with. I was part of the initial team representing Santa Clara University working under Dr. Timothy King at the Castroville Mammoth Dig. So that is three papers in one week! Not too shabby.
Also, in the wake of the Los Gatos Weekly and Mercury articles I am receiving an amazing response from people. It is such a good feeling to see that Jessie's story and my promise are touching so many peoples lives. It would make Jess smile to see how this whole thing is progressing. I even received a donation all the way from Brooklyn NY! I don't even know any one in Brooklyn!
Things are really rolling now!
Also I have decided to delay my departure officially until May first to allow for some melt time. I have also received similar advice from a few people who have hiked the PCT before.
Until next time,
-Cody

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cody,
    I saw the Merc article about you yesterday and am sending the link for that to our son who runs the hostel at Big Bear Lake in So. Cal. It's very close to the trail, and he is a huge supporter of PCT hikers.

    http://adventurehostel.com/BigBearLakeInformation/PacificCrestTrail-PCT.php

    A phone call will get you picked up and in town to his place for a warm shower in no time. You can also use the hostel addy as a mail drop for food and supplies. They will take super good care of your stuff and store it for free until you get there.

    Looks like he doesn't have the PCT section of his site updated for 2011 yet, but it will be soon (still snow on the ground up there -- you're really smart to be waiting for a bit more melt!).

    If you do decide to stop-over there, be sure to tell him his mom sent you :-)

    Good luck with your hike. There will be memories to last you a lifetime, and your sweet sister will be with you every step of the way!

    Consider yourself hugged,

    Carroll (in Cupertino)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank,

    It was an honor to meet you yesterday at the Sandwich shop. I've posted your site on my Facebook page...got a response from my granddaugher, Megan, who also has CF...she likes the story!

    You've taken on a real challenge, but you'll do it...and if it takes two years or two tries or whatever, keep at it. (This is an historically heavy snow year, so I'd guess that you may be continuing this next year, but that's ok -- I know a fellow who did the Appalachian Trail twice but was turned back on his first try at the PCT -- went and finished the next year.)

    Whatever, may the trails be good.

    Cheers,

    Don Scott
    former National Park Ranger

    ReplyDelete